International trademark classes
Here are the forty-five so-called "Nice classes" into which trademark
applications are classified. The classes are named after the city of Nice,
France, where the first listing of classes was negotiated in 1957.
- CLASS 1 (Chemicals) Chemicals used in industry, science and
photography, as well as in agriculture, horticulture and forestry; unprocessed
artificial resins, unprocessed plastics; manures; fire extinguishing
compositions; tempering and soldering preparations; chemical substances for
preserving foodstuffs; tanning substances; adhesives used in industry.
- CLASS 2 (Paints) Paints, varnishes, lacquers; preservatives
against rust and against deterioration of wood; colorants; mordants; raw
natural resins; metals in foil and powder form for painters, decorators,
printers and artists. Explanatory Note This class includes mainly paints,
colorants and preparations used for the protection against corrosion. Includes,
in particular: paints, varnishes and lacquers for industry, handicrafts and
arts; dyestuffs for clothing; colorants for foodstuffs and beverages.
- CLASS 3 (Cosmetics and cleaning preparations) Bleaching
preparations and other substances for laundry use; cleaning, polishing,
scouring and abrasive preparations; soaps; perfumery, essential oils,
cosmetics, hair lotions; dentifrices.
- CLASS 4 (Lubricants and fuels) Industrial oils and greases;
lubricants; dust absorbing, wetting and binding compositions; fuels (including
motor spirit) and illuminants; candles, wicks.
- CLASS 5 (Pharmaceuticals) Pharmaceutical, veterinary and sanitary
preparations; dietetic substances adapted for medical use, food for babies;
plasters, materials for dressings; material for stopping teeth, dental wax;
disinfectants; preparations for destroying vermin; fungicides, herbicides.
- CLASS 6 (Metal goods) Common metals and their alloys; metal
building materials; transportable buildings of metal; materials of metal for
railway tracks; non-electric cables and wires of common metal; iron mongery,
small items of metal hardware; pipes and tubes of metal; safes; goods of common
metal not included in other classes; ores.
- CLASS 7 (Machinery) Machines and machine tools; motors and
engines (except for land vehicles); machine coupling and transmission
components (except for land vehicles); agricultural implements other than
hand-operated; incubators for eggs.
- CLASS 8 (Hand tools) Hand tools and implements (hand operated);
cutlery; side arms; razors.
- CLASS 9 (Electrical and scientific apparatus) Scientific,
nautical, surveying, electric, photographic, cinematographic, optical,
weighing, measuring, signaling, checking (supervision), lifesaving and teaching
apparatus and instruments; apparatus for recording, transmission or
reproduction of sound or images; magnetic data carriers, recording discs;
automatic vending machines and mechanisms for coin operated apparatus; cash
registers, calculating machines, data processing equipment and computers;
- CLASS 10 (Medical Apparatus) Surgical, medical, dental and
veterinary apparatus and instruments, artificial limbs, eyes and teeth;
orthopedic articles; suture materials.
- CLASS 11 (Environmental control apparatus) Apparatus for
lighting, heating, steam generating, cooking, refrigerating, drying,
ventilating, water supply and sanitary purposes.
- CLASS 12 (Vehicles) Vehicles; apparatus for locomotion by land,
air or water.
- CLASS 13 (Firearms) Firearms; ammunition and projectiles;
- CLASS 14 (Jewelry) Precious metals and their alloys and goods in
precious metals or coated therewith, not included in other classes; jewelry,
precious stones; horological and chronometric instruments.
- CLASS 15 (Musical Instruments) Musical instruments.
- CLASS 16 (Paper goods and printed matter) Paper, cardboard and
goods made from these materials, not included in other classes; printed matter;
bookbinding material; photographs; stationery; adhesives for stationery or
household purposes; artists' materials; paint brushes; typewriters and office
requisites (except furniture); instructional and teaching material (except
apparatus); plastic materials for packaging (not included in other classes);
playing cards; printers' type; printing blocks.
- CLASS 17 (Rubber goods) Rubber, gutta-percha, gum, asbestos, mica
and goods made from these materials and not included in other classes; plastics
in extruded form for use in manufacture; packing, stopping and insulating
materials; flexible pipes, not of metal.
- CLASS 18 (Leather goods) Leather and imitations of leather, and
goods made of these materials and not included in other classes; animal skins,
hides; trunks and traveling bags; umbrellas, parasols and walking sticks;
whips, harness and saddlery.
- CLASS 19 (Nonmetallic building materials) Building materials
(nonmetallic); nonmetallic rigid pipes for building; asphalt, pitch and
bitumen; nonmetallic transportable buildings; monuments, not of metal.
- CLASS 20 (Furniture and articles not otherwise classified)
Furniture, mirrors, picture frames; goods (not included in other classes) of
wood, cork, reed, cane, wicker, horn, bone, ivory, whalebone, shell, amber,
mother-of-pearl, meerschaum and substitutes for all these materials, or of
- CLASS 21 (Housewares and glass) Household or kitchen utensils and
containers (not of precious metal or coated therewith); combs and sponges;
brushes (except paint brushes); brush-making materials; articles for cleaning
purposes; steel wool; un-worked or semi-worked glass (except glass used in
building); glassware, porcelain and earthenware not included in other classes.
- CLASS 22 (Cordage and fibers) Ropes, string, nets, tents,
awnings, tarpaulins, sails, sacks and bags (not included in other classes);
padding and stuffing materials (except of rubber or plastics); raw fibrous
- CLASS 23 (Yarns and threads) Yarns and threads, for textile use.
- CLASS 24 (Fabrics) Textiles and textile goods, not included in
other classes; bed and table covers.
- CLASS 25 (Clothing) Clothing, footwear, headgear.
- CLASS 26 (Fancy goods) Lace and embroidery, ribbons and braid;
buttons, hooks and eyes, pins and needles; artificial flowers.
- CLASS 27 (Floor coverings) Carpets, rugs, mats and matting,
linoleum and other materials for covering existing floors; wall hangings
- CLASS 28 (Toys and sporting goods) Games and playthings;
gymnastic and sporting articles not included in other classes; decorations for
- CLASS 29 (Meats and processed foods) Meat, fish, poultry and
game; meat extracts; preserved, dried and cooked fruits and vegetables;
jellies, jams, fruit sauces; eggs, milk and milk products; edible oils and
- CLASS 30 (Staple foods) Coffee, tea, cocoa, sugar, rice, tapioca,
sago, artificial coffee; flour and preparations made from cereals, bread,
pastry and confectionery, ices; honey, treacle; yeast, baking-powder; salt,
mustard; vinegar, sauces (condiments); spices; ice.
- CLASS 31 (Natural agricultural products) Agricultural,
horticultural and forestry products and grains not included in other classes;
living animals; fresh fruits and vegetables; seeds, natural plants and flowers;
foodstuffs for animals, malt.
- CLASS 32 (Light beverages) Beers; mineral and aerated waters and
other nonalcoholic drinks; fruit drinks and fruit juices; syrups and other
preparations for making beverages.
- CLASS 33 (Wine and spirits) Alcoholic beverages (except beers).
- CLASS 34 (Smokers' articles) Tobacco; smokers' articles; matches.
- CLASS 35 (Advertising and business) Advertising; business
management; business administration; office functions.
- CLASS 36 (Insurance and financial) Insurance; financial affairs;
monetary affairs; real estate affairs.
- CLASS 37 (Building construction and repair) Building
construction; repair; installation services.
- CLASS 38 (Telecommunications)
- CLASS 39 (Transportation and storage) Transport; packaging and
storage of goods; travel arrangement.
- CLASS 40 (Treatment of materials) Treatment of materials.
- CLASS 41 (Education and entertainment) Education; providing of
training; entertainment; sporting and cultural activities.
- CLASS 42 (Computer, scientific & legal) Scientific and
technological services and research and design relating thereto: industrial
analysis and research services; design and development of computer hardware and
software; legal services.
- CLASS 43 (Hotels and Restaurants) Services for providing food and
drink; temporary accommodations.
- CLASS 44 (Medical, beauty & agricultural) Medical services;
veterinary services; hygienic and beauty care for human beings or animals;
agriculture, horticulture and forestry services.
- CLASS 45 (Personal) Personal and social services rendered by
others to meet the needs of individuals; security services for the protection
of property and individuals.
Other trademark resources of possible interest:
See also International design classes.